View Single Post

Old 02-20-2010, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild

Well, as I was saying before we were so rudely interupted by some malicious software bug, I am building the Dutch tropical liner mv Oranje, 1938, for the Amsterdam-Djakarta (Batavia before 1949) run, see two pics how she appeared then. It is a scratchbuild in scale 1 : 180 so the length of the model is 111 cm ( 43 ") .
The bulkheads are now in place, see third pic. The skin for the hull will be more or less in the shape of strips and sheets, as in the original ship, so the bulheads, which give only vertical support, will need to be complemented with horizontal elements, longerons. These will be made of little wooden beams, 2 x 2 mm. I marked out their postions (3 and 4 in lengthwise) see pic 4 and cut out the square slits in the bulkheads with a Dremel hobbymachine, pic 5. When that is done, I can glue the longerons in place.
Next time more.
Ahoy
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-oramje-panama-canal.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-oranje-technical-certification-tests-1939.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-bulkheads-overview.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-4-marking-positions-longerons.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-4-fraising-longeron-slits.jpg