View Single Post

Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Before attaching the longerons, I need to place the aft deck, so that I will have a reference to follow the sheer of the hull as a visible clue for checking the correct postion of the longeron leading to the aft deck.

To represent the teakwooden deck, I am using small wooden strips that my hobbyshop supplies, glue them to paper and then cut out the deck with the planking. See pic 3 for the effect of such a wooden deck (the model here is the ms Tjiwangi, of the Royal Java & China Steamship Company, of 1953. It was the first large passenger ship built in the Netherlands after the WW2).

Pic 1 shows the aft deck planked, sanded smooth and ready for varnishing and attached in place, pic 2. Pics 4 and 5 show the deck in place and with the deckhouse attached. This deckhouse contained the 3rd class lounge and deckspace. On the deck below was a dining hall and accomodations for a total of 150 passengers. After the war, in the 1950s, the 3rd clas was discontinued and the facilities rebuilt for the 2nd class passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-5-aft-deck-planked-being-sanded.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-5-aft-deck-being-glued-pressed-position.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-5-effect-using-small-strips-wood-deckplanking.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-5-aft-deck-3rd-class-varnished-place-ready-deckhouse.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-5-aft-deck-3rd-class-deckhouse-place.jpg