View Single Post

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Finished up the bottom wing. The attached photos show the build progression or at least most of it. I printed the wing several times trying to get a good printout so I had some extras to work with. I took advantage of that to use one of the poorly printed ones as a guide. After trimming around the edges to make it a bit smaller than the original I just glued the sticks onto it using the rib markings as a guide.

The sticks are slightly less than 1mm dia. shaved from a bamboo skewer or chopstick. After they are glued down and allowed to set the entire surface gets wetted with glue and a fairly stiff piece of card is laid over the whole surface.

Then the wing is turned over so that the upper wing surface can be pressed down between the "ribs". A paint brush handle of appropriate size is used to do the embossing step. After letting that set for awhile I turned the wing over again so that I can glue another heavy card piece to the bottom along with a fiberboard "spar" to aid in shaping an airfoil.

The next to last photo shows this wing subassembly completely glued up and ready for the final layer which is the printed wing in the top of the photo.

Gluing this outer layer onto the subassembly along with a final embossing with the paint brush handle results in the final wing shown in the last photo. I plan on continuing to use this method for fabric covered wings to bring out more depth and hopefully a slightly more realistic model as I get more practised with it.

Curt.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing02.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing03.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing04.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing05.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing06.jpg  

FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing07.jpg