View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale

Hi all, this is exciting to contribute to the forum with a test build. Chris G. has asked "Deckape" and myself to give Nobi's new design for the Junkers SRF a test drive, so I'm kicking it off with some images to show my progress so far. Deckape has scheduled to begin his build on 1 June, so he will add to the thread as he begins his findings.

Being a newbie (this is only my fourth paper model) I hope my level of technical expertise doesn't prove distracting. I am attempting, for the most part, an "out-of-the-box" build to show what can be done with the design as it was initially passed to me. Any deviations I will note while I go as well as my findings. I have already reported my findings to Nobi to date, so I am just documenting it here for the rest of the Forum's review. I hope it proves interesting. Now, what was the size limit for those images...? Ah, yes.

POST 1:
So to start with, I took the printed PDF's (100% on 8.5x11 inch, 110lb cardstock) and gave then a couple of light, misted coats of Krylon clear gloss acrylic (tip I picked up on the forum.) This seems to help the cutting a bit and doesn't appear to affect the glue strength. I allowed an hour for that to set thoroughly before starting the build.

The kit has two sheets of parts and three pages of perspective drawings to illustrate placement. No written instructions as of yet. Parts are numbered, with formers and spars having an "*" next to them to indicate either doubling or otherwise using heavier material. All these parts are co-located so it is easy to cut off the main sheet and then glue to (as in my case) heavier stock.

I glued the formers to a heavy cereal box material, which is thicker than normal because it was a "double-bag" package (Captain Crunch, as you see.) I tried using glue stick, but the adhesion was spotty so I had to 'reglue' when the cardstock came loose when I cut out the parts. I also marked the numbers on the former parts to help me keep them straight after cutting, avoiding the middle holes.
(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5779.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5780.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5781.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5783.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale