View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Post 2

After getting the formers "fortified" using the cereal box (hey, fortified, get it?) I started cutting out the center holes. To start, I wasn't sure of the reasoning behind having the holes there (wasn't actually certain they were holes...) but figured perhaps it was a center of balance issue. Started with the first section of the fuselage nose, conveniently numbered "1", in assembly 'A'. This is essentially a straight tube with a former at each end (they are visible in the first image on the right side.) Because the cylinder is basically parallel sided, I did not cut the formers at an angle. Well, actually, I did cut them at a 90 degree angle as that is what is called for - I want to match the former edge to the "skin" of the tube to maximize the gluing surface. I used a sharp, new blade for cutting and an emery nail sanding stick to smooth the edges of the former, trying to be as precise as possible.

Once the formers were ready, I cut out the corresponding "skin" piece and pre-rolled it using a recycled 'chopstick' - I roll it like a rolling pin, holding both ends. Rolling on the padded table mat works well for these long cylinder parts. I made a matching glue tab, also rolled before gluing, with length adjusted for the thickness of the formers. Now I could assemble the section.

[I apologize for not having close-up images of the action, but I'm still working out how to work the camera and do something with my hands at the same time (the usual problem for us all...) I do have a remote shutter, a 'shorty' tripod and auto focus, so it is possible. For now, I'll just have to describe the action - like an old time radio broadcast ]
(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5785.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5784.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale