View Single Post

Old 07-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
After much heavy knife work, the main framework around the cockpit. In one aspect, this plane is a good choice to
upsize since it DOES have a lot of framework (amazingly, probably 90% coverage!) and will thus have the needed strength. However it's a
chore to cut all these formers in 1.6mm stock!
I think I see another advantage to large scale. Can't get too close with the camera on those overall structure shots - thus not as much
fault-finding!

Onward to cockpit detail...

Here are the rudder pedals mounted to the shelf that will also hold the instrument panel.
When I first saw these parts, I thought - "wonder why they have church doors in this kit?"
As you can see from the cube, the pedals at this scale are ~1 cm wide. I've already decided I REALLY like the detail stuff at this
scale. This was not nearly as tedious and frustrating as it would have been at 1:33.

Shelf with pedals mounted:

Here is the front of the instrument panel. Like I mentioned before, I tried the tiny wire rings around the gauge enhancement and was not
really happy with it and the tedium of doing it. So I've stolen Ted's method of printing 2 copies of the panel, using the screw punch on
one of them and trapping some thin plastic in between to simulate glass (which due to light positions, you can't see here). I think this
method looks nice and is WAY easier to boot. I have a added a couple of switches and a knob and made the indicator lights more 3D.
That's about all the extra detail I care to add to this.
There are a ton of little "cans" to put on the back of the panel to represent the backide of the gauges. a pic of those later...

Continuing on in the cockpit, here is a view of the "cans" at the back of the panel, and an attempt at simulating wires. I don't have a
pic of this section of a real cockpit to show the route of the wires, so I'm just more or less following Pawell's lead on this. I'm not
too hung up on being exactly right here.

And here we have the completed control stick and on the right you can see the seat support structure.