View Single Post

Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Haven't had much time at the mat this week. I did get the throne done, finally!

Have finished up the central cockpit detail, with a few floor doodads (floordads?) The rounded knobs over on those levers I made by
building up globs of glue/paint mixture.

Next up is the right cockpit side wall. Unlike most Halinski kits, this one is flat, and has framework that is built up to the outside,
as seen here. The whole thing slides in between the bulkheads when done.
I was a bit alarmed in that I had to trim a good bit off the length of this part to fit between the bulkheads. I test fit the inner skin
part to my framework to check to make sure I did not have the bulkheads way off, and it seems spot-on perfect, so this piece must have
just been designed a little too big. At 1:33 it would have been a little less alarming!

Next bit of cockpit detail - the right wall and it's "hangers on".
There are a few bits of extra detail here. Most obvious is the oxygen hose and the fitting at the free end. It's made from very thick
floral wire, wrapped with thin floral wire ("paddle wire", actually, 26ga) and painted.
The red radio buttons are also wire, cut a good bit longer than needed, and pushed down through holes made in the box with a pin before
cutting it out. Then flow some CA on from the back to hold them in place.
I'm printing 2 of each part sheet, a thick one that's more or less the proper upscaled thickness and one from normal 65lb stock. I'm
using the thin version for most of the folded and rolled bits. That leaves another copy of each part, and where there is detail printed
such as knobs, I'm using my punch to cut just that little bit out and paste to the larger part, to get a bit more 3D effect.

Left side of cockpit done. A few extra knobs and such added.

Finished cockpit, left side:

And right side again. The inner skins also carry some fairly involved sills and frames that meet with those white spots here on the tops
of the cockpit walls.