View Single Post

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is an EXTREMELY rough prototype thus far.

I WISH the camera took better pictures (the "yellow" that shows in the pictures doesn't reflect how the actual model's "Ag-Cat Yellow" looks. In addition, the "edge lines" of the various parts seem really exagerated due to the flash. Oh well, I'm not a photographer.

A few notes of what I'm facing now with the model.

As you probably noticed, the hopper was accidently textured wrong (I wanted it to look more like the brownish color you see on most ag-cats. This is an easy fix however. The only reason I hadn't fixed it for the prototype build, is because I had already cut out parts on the same sheet that the hopper was on. Since this was just a "let's see how everything fits and looks" build, I didn't push the issue.

I really would like SOME detail in the interior. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this, based on a model build of an F-4U corsair that I bought from E-Card models. It will probably be something to the effect of building the cockpit, then "wrapping" the side panels around it. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

I have been brainstorming on how I will accomplish mounting the bottom wing to the fuselage. I really like the "wing saddle" idea, where there would be a section of the sides of the fuselage cut to the shape of the airfoil, then have an internal center section installed with openings on each end to allow for the wings to be "inserted" with tabs that are placed on the wings themselves. This may be a problem though, as the saddle will be seen from the inside of the cockpit area. What may end up happening, is that I will simply have to glue the wing panels to the sides of the fuselage itself, then proceed from there. But in either case, I'm not sure exactly how to "locate" where the wing should be attached to the paper model (on the computer generated model, I was able to locate it with the 3 view overlay in my 3d software.) I've got a couple of ideas that I'll test hopefully soon to alleviate this problem.

One of the BIGGEST problems I have been facing for the longest time, is what to do with the "fold lines" that help guide the modeller on where to place his valley or mountain fold. Sure I can simply turn them off (I'm using Pepakura by the way), but then there would be no guides for someone to make their folds. Keeping them on though, makes the model look too unrealistic.

If you also noticed, you'll see that the front of the fuselage stops right at the firewall. This was done intentionally for one main reason. Once this model is finished, you'll have the option to either mount a traditional radial engine on it (9 cylinder of course), or go modern with a turbine nacelle (as the screenshots depict). The radial engine will have a separate engine mount that will go between the fuselage and the engine itself.

Tonight I'll probably have the top wing center section (fuel tank) made up to the struts and to the fuselage, with pics to follow after. I'll also possibly make the engine nacelle and either glue it in place to the fuselage, or just leave it on the side for the comparison (which is probably what I will end up doing.)
Attached Thumbnails
Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0959.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0960.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0961.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0963.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0964.jpg