Thread: TROTSKIY is up
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mitsubishi F1M2 "Reikan" (Pete) is up

The latest Trotskiy (Reikan_v14) is the Mitsubishi Type Zero (Reikan) floatplane that was given the Allied codename “Pete.” It is an aircraft from the battleship Musashi, Tail Number 212-01.

The heading of the page reads “Type Zero [Rei-shiki] Observation Seaplane [Suijokansokuki] Model 11 [11- Kei] (F1M2), Battleship Musashi Aircraft [Senkan ‘Musashi’ Noseiki] [“Noseiki” literally means ‘embarked machine’], August 1944 [Showa 19].

Reikan is an abbreviation for Rei-shiki Suijokansokuki [Type Zero Observation Seaplane]in the same way that Reisen was an abbreviation for Rei-shiki Sentoki [Type Zero Fighter].

I assume that the tail number reflects that the battleship floatplane detachment assigned to the Musashi was the 212th Kokutai [literally “Air Unit” that I have been translating as “Air Group,” although you will sometimes find it translated as “Air Corps”]. However, I am not sure of this and have seen references in some IJN and WWII forums to floatplanes cfrom the Musashi with “213” tail number prefixes.

I do not yet have a complete IJN air order of battle and would be grateful for any information on IJN air order of battle info generally and IJN shipboard floatplane units specifically.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-19-2008 at 05:58 AM.