View Single Post

Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Someplace, I have a hard copy of a build report that Saul Jacobs (I think) did on this one. It is one of my (many) favorite planes, too, and I would love to give it a try if it ever comes back into print.

I've enjoyed the historical discussion (of course). This has been a busy week for me at the fun that passes for work with me, or else I would have dived in to get a piece of that action.

Incidentally, the current issue of Skyways: The Journal of the Airplane 1920-1940 (No. 85, January 2008) has a five-page spread on the interior layout of the TBD-1. It is the pre-war version, so there may be some differences from the early '42 carrier actions/Coral Sea/Midway version that you are building, Tbolter, but still useful, I think . . . at least worth a long lingering look, even if your interior is already completed.

This issue has a lot of delights: color chips of 1930s-1940s civil aircraft colors, an article about the Panam Dinner Key flying boat terminal (the centerfold is a Sikorsky S-42 cruising low over Miami), an article about 1930s Navy fighters including information on the Curtiss XF13C (the now-it's-a biplane-and-now-it's-a-monoplane fighter) that was discussed in Chris's Lysander thread, and much, much more. Availble in the States for $12.00 plus $3.00 postage from World War I Aeroplanes, Inc., P.O. Box 3235, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603, USA. Not sure how much for overseas purchasers.

Don