View Single Post

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Well, kids, I think I may have reached the point that most people throw a kit away! From everything fitting fairly well, this kit has plummeted to where nothing fits well.
The top wing;

You might be able to see my pathetic hand rendered unit emblem ... sorry, Charlie, I really did try to do a better job.

After a long and drawn out battle, I managed to beat it into submission, but it wasn't pretty. :D The outer wing supports fit OK, but the faring pieces are iffy and I had to add additional slices to cover the gaps. That was the easy part.
Now this;

This little item almost made me give up paper models forever! The misfit on two of these four pieces was astonishing, even for MM. The alignment is fair to poor and there's a rather obvious miscoloring;

Very frustrating. I haven't glued the front former because I want to build a radial engine and fit it in there. Not sure of the size yet. I freely admit absolute ignorance when it comes to this sort of stuff. I build models because I like the way they look, not because I know anything about the prototype! I'm going to try and use a WWI model engine, the Oberursel. I'm sure it's all wrong, but for us ignorant folk, it's all right. It looks like a nice model that fits together.
Now I have a question for the more experienced out there. The bulgey things on the cowling (told you I was ignorant); the kit supplies white forms that I assume the builder is supposed to sand to shape and color to match as applied. I'm not convinced this is the best approach. I'm thinking of doing burnished pieces. I know they won't be as dimensional as the prototypes, but I think they might look a little better. Anyone have any input on this sort of thing?
As far as the rest of this kit...I have a bad feeling about those wheelpants.
Chris