View Single Post

Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Wow! What a nice surprise seeing this thread pop up again. I think your Buffalo came out well, monkeyrum. Looking at my model up close, I can tell you that the wings are dead flat - no dihedral at all, so it didn't come out as I would have liked. It was my first Fiddler's Green model, and I honestly can't remember how I attached the wings. I don't think I used the tab & slot, though. The dihedral problem is a common one on FG models, and you may have to deviate from the instructions to get it right.

For FG models with a wing that is supposed to pass thru the fuselage: Don't cut that hole! Build the wings separately, not as one unit per the instructions. Make a 1mm thick former that roughly copies the airfoil shape from the side of the fuselage. This former will be glued directly to the side of the fuselage, and acts as a gluing surface for the wing. To get the proper dihedral, you may have to shim the former out on the bottom edge with small wedges of 1mm card before gluing it in place. With the airfoil shape glued to the fuselage, try dry fitting the wing. You'll probably find that you have to trim the topside of the wing a bit to get a good fit. More trimming is needed at the front that at the back. Go slow, at little at a time. Curved scissors work best for this. After you're happy with the fit, it's time for gluing. For 1/72 scale I usually just apply glue to the inside of wing and slip it on. For larger scale models a spar could be used for extra strength.

This is probably not the easiest solution, but I've used it successfully on several FG models.