View Single Post

Old 09-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Hello Friends,
Before I can start attaching all those details of railings etc I need first to install the lifeboats and davits. Initially, the "Oranje" had 14 lifeboats, of which one was a smaller boat and one was a motorlaunch. Basically I use the classical design for lifeboats as most cardmodel designers use, a single piece of boat-sides and a top, that is glued together to make a fairly rough model of a lifboat. I am looking for that bulbous shape that is charateristic of a rowing boat and after some experimenting, I found that making two slits in the sides of the boat would allow for a more rounded shape. In pictures 1 and 2 you can see a number of test models I made from drawings that I pushed into the correct size by resizing in the graphic programme Paint Shop Pro that I use.
After I had the correct shape and size, I multiplied the design by 14 , pic 3 and drafted the davits, pic 4.
The davits, two per lifeboat, are built up of a gravity operated carrier rolling on track supports. I am planning to print the two sides of the carriers (front and back) separately from the support, so that the supports front and back side are glued on both sides of each carrier. That will leave an open groove,which seen from the outside of the ship gives a realistic effect. But first I must make sure that the 14 boats and the 28 davits consisting of 112 parts are correctly located on the paper for printing, see pic 5 for a screen dump of the designing process. On the checkered image, if you look closely, you can just see the outlines of the 14 lifeboats.
Well, that's it for today. I hope I was understandable, let me know if any clarification is needed.
So long.
R
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-1-lifeboat-design-trials.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-2-lifeboat-design-trials-overview.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-3-lifeboats.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-4-davits.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-5-drawings-lifeboats-davits.jpg