View Single Post

Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction

Hi everyone!

This is a tutorial on how to build movable tank tracks for very high performance, high speed and reliability, (relatively) fast and possibly most easy and with minimum cost!

The base for this is my (to this moment) ongoing project of a Terminator-HK-Tank-modification. To this moment i´m finished only with 1 of the 4 drive sections, but this single one is built with a

movable track that allows you to drive it like a matchbox-car with a speed you would normally use to kill a fly in your kitchen...

If you don´t believe me, watch this:

Now i´ll tell you how i built it and what issues arouse in the process, so that after this you will be able to build even better tracks for whatever model you are working on and that needs good tracks which allow you to drive it with the speed you desire...
(or your destructive children are able to achieve... )

...and most important: almost completely out of cardboard and paper... almost.

So lets start!

I began with cutting out all the track links... together! I didn´t cut them out one by one, that´s an idea i got when i saw "klebegold" building his track for his "DET 250" in a german modellers forum, he had glued all his links on two paper strips... and so i thought: "if i cut all the links in the position they´ll have in the track without separating them this will reduce the sources of instability and wrong assembly MASSIVELY, a problem i had, when i tried building movable tracks years ago...

so i cut the tracks out as a block with two additional strips on the sides...

the important thing is that i let out spaces between the links that would be filled with... steel rods, build out of straightened paperclips.

Next i cut out the spaces...

... you will see, that i´ve done this not very good, the spaces are all different, which means, that your tracks will be much better than mine...

Now comes the really important part: How is the whole mechanism assembled?
I painted a very simple drawing in Paint, which will give you a very good overview...

Last edited by Vorcha; 09-23-2010 at 05:06 AM.