View Single Post

Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
I'm impressed.
Now, if you could just get started on creating a functional paper spring... : )
sorry to interrupt on this thread ..

i built a working paper spring for a project a started but failed to finish last year ...
thread here Liebherr LTM 11200-9.1 Build - Zealot Hobby Forum

in the pic below is the second design at the spring/damper ,changing it from square to round.. the project got shelved due to other commitments..

ok lets explain the pic ...

Grey=internal paper tube
Yellow=external tube
Green=end plates
Red=end stops
zig-zag line=spring

so we start buy rolling the internal tube(grey),in my example the internal diameter was 6mm,then we rolled an end stop(red) around one end of this,glueing in place,then we rolled another end stop(red) around the internal tube but without glueing it,then we rolled the external tube(yellow) around the outside of the end stops(red),glueing the external tube to the previously rolled,but not glued end stop.this should create two tubes that slide on inside the other ,but will not fall apart because of the end stops..

next to the spring itself,thats simple,a strip of 5mm card/paper(depending how springy you want it) folded in a accordian shape,this should be about twice as long as the overall length of the two tubes when extended.

to assemble the working spring/damper you start buy sliding the two halves together so the the end stops touch.DO NOT GLUE!.then glue an end plate(green) onto the external tube,slide in the accordian spring,compress the assembly an finaly glue the other end plate in place .. hold until dry,then release..if you made it right you should have a working spring/damper....

hope i explained all that ok ...???
Attached Thumbnails
build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-sus.jpg