View Single Post

Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
C-130 / AC-130 Hercules Redraw/Redesign (by Airdave)

As the title states, I am working on a complete redraw and redesign of the C-130.

I am hoping to add the necessary modifications to produce the AC-130 Spectre Gunship.
I'd also like to produce at least one Camo paintscheme Hercules C-130.
Who knows, maybe even redo the Blue Angels Fat Albert?

This will be a big project for me, and since I already have other things on the go, this won't be a quick project.

Hopefully anyone interested will help me along the way and give me some advice.

One of the first questions I have is about scale...
Nobi's C-130 kit (the one I used for my original Fat Albert repaint) is 1/48 scale.
That makes the final model about 24.5" long with a Wingspan of just over 33".

This is all based on Hercules specs, since I haven't built the model completely, at full scale, I can't corroborate those numbers.
I have however built a partial plane (no wings) at 2/3 of the original size and it came out at 16.3" long.
Which happens to be exactly 1/72 scale...so that kinda verifies the 1/48 scale measurements.

1/48 would be a nice build size for the model,
but with a 33"plus wingspan, many modelers might not be interested in the kit.
Since I have to appeal to the masses (the buying public that is) I have to consider what the majority of modelers will prefer.

Another reason for me to consider a downscale, is to reduce part size on the pages of the Kit.
This might not only reduce the number of pages in the kit, but more importantly,
allow me to reassemble certain areas of the model.
Like the Wings for example, which at 1/48 scale are made up of about 6 sections...at 1/72 scale I can probably reduce this to three or maybe even two sections.

Please let me know what you think about a final scale size for this kit...
do you prefer:

1/48 scale (final model is 24"plus long, with a 33"plus Wingspan)
or
1/72 scale (final models is 16"plus long, with a 22"plus Wingspan)

Keep in mind, the smaller scale makes a few areas a little trickier to build and reduces certain details that are available in the larger scale.

.................................................. ..

I'd like to keep you updated as the design for this plane progresses,
and I'd love to hear any suggestions for additions, modifications or necessary alterations to the C-130 model.