View Single Post

Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I'm glad someone started this thread, because I have been toying with a few ships that I would like to make into paper models myself, and to give back a little to the community from whom I have received thousands of hours of fun paper modeling.

Cory, I would be interested in how you approach a ship model design, using a computer, as that might be a good way to proceed. I seem to recall you use programs that are fairly easily available?

I would also love to see a model designed using the old fashioned hand drawn method; Barry once had a thread in which he did something similar, using trial and error, scanning the templates as he went along, until the formers and templates all matched up in the real world, at which time he made a final scan and then used those scans in a graphics program to add color, or textures, as they say, to the templates. Fairly basic, involving a lot of trial and error printing out, cutting, trimming, scanning, printing out again, etc., but the end product was pretty nice. Yeah, it was a problem trying to have one single piece for the entire side of a hull, and even more difficult in making up the bottom shells (these were full hull, as I recall), but it all seemed to work out for the best in the end.

I guess what I would love to see is a step by step approach on a sample hull from which I could learn how to do it myself without getting too much into vector graphics, yada yada, discussions which are things I have no clue what is being said. Mind you, I am very willing to learn about such things, but I don't want to be overwhelmed with terminology when I am just starting out.

I have tried to follow a few tutorials, but they all seem to quickly develop into a very technical discussion using complicated and expensive software. I just need a prod in the right direction to create a basic hull shape, and to learn how to then incorporate the various deck components, houses, etc., but I am very willing to spend a bit of time to design a ship model if someone is willing to show me the way.

Yikes, that was a bit much..sorry for it having run on a bit!

Cheers!
Jim