View Single Post

Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi @ all!

Let me share with you some of my experiences during the building process of this model. It is a very nice vessel from the medieval age (around 1350 C.E.) and I recommend it for every one who wants to start building ships. The good thing about those old ships is they have usually only one mast and one sail which makes it quite easy to build (compared with bigger vessels and a lot of rigging) . Thats also the reason why I started with this one after a long model making break.

As mentioned before the model is from the Mały Modelarz 9/2000. This is the historically more accurate version of the "Koga Elbląska" from Mały Modelarz 12/1973. Main changes were made in the design of the deck of that vessel after a cog wreck was found in the German city of Bremen (Museum page here but in German language!!). Small changes were also made on the ledge and the shrouds keeping the mast.

Since no plans of that kind of vessel survived from the medieval times and no one really knows how this vessels looked like there is some room for interpretation for each modeller. In this thread I would like to present my own interpretation with some information I found on the web (net or however it is called nowadays ). It does not has to be a right one or the most accurate, it is just my idea of how it might have looked alike and maybe it can help the one or another builder. If you find something to be wrong on my interpretation please feel free to criticize .

However, as you may know, the MM (Mały Modelarz) simplifies many details in his models. The main problem with this model is the rigging. As I tried to do the rigging as reasonable as possible according to reality I found it difficult to find useful information on it. Especially about mounting the ropes on deck or the belaying pin. The plans from MM do not really tell much about it:
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_0.jpg