View Single Post

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Thank you all for the words of appreciation! (*humbly bowing down*) And also for the links providing additional information about those kind of vessels. Very interesting (hopefully not only for me)!

My main problem with the rigging was to find good information best provided in form of pictures about how to mount the rope (or thread ) to certain parts of the ship. I found some interesting basic rigging information in polish language here.

As Tappi says: "...the basics are pretty much the same as on the sail ships later on" this page (Boy's Manual Of Seamanship And Gunnery) was of use for my "old" vessel and is useful for other vessels as well. I found helpful information also on this page from the historical ship and naval association (The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel).

After reading this information my 'Elbingians' (the polish community might forgive me for using the German name of the city :p:o:p but it sounds nicer than "Elblouskians" ) turned out to be a little bit more sophisticated concerning the yard lifts since they did not mount the simplest solution like shown in the plans of MM. The first picture shows my interpretation of the yard lifts.

The halyard is running to the 'capstan' and from there to the belaying pin as seen in the second picture of the attachment.

But first I needed to find a solution for the standing rigging, especially how to mount the shrouds on top of the mast. You can see my solution of that problem in the third picture. The knot (i don't know the name of that one) I used here is pretty simple but strong ( I found it in "The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship).

On that point I ask everybody who have some ideas on how to do what I describe here in a more accurate way to comment, please. This here is my own solution, but it does non necessary have to be the right one. :o
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_3.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_3a.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_1.jpg