View Single Post

Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
About the Raubvogels, did you build it at different scales? Any photos to share?

Actually, at one time the Atlantas were my favorite class of ship. I've already done the 5" twin turrets (which weren't as easy as they seemed). I haven't done them yet, basically because there are 2 or 3 versions available in injection molded plastic kits at 1:700(and/or 720).

As you can see in my model photos on my LCoat.tripod.com webpage, I have done the also beautiful Didos and even have the "toothless terror" ( eight 4.5" guns) Scylla and Charibdys variant worked up.

But it would be nice to have the Atlantas able to be in other scales too, which cardstock paper modeling lends itself to, so I do intend to do them.

I lived in Juneau Alaska for 15 years. Steve Andereggen did an incredible amount of research on the Juneau, and we had all 5 survivors come visit onetime. (There was some hard feelings about what happened on the liferafts which were barely controlled.) Steve also did a beautiful 1/96 (?) scale model of the ship, which I last saw in the Juneau airport terminal.

I worked in the Alaska State Library, and we got photos of Juneau's commissioning on Valentines Day 1942. It was eerie and moving to look into all those (over 700, eventually) young faces and realize that virtually all of them would be dead within the same year.

There is a real (and usually overlooked) memorial value in historical modelbuilding ... and wargaming.