View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Macon...no the other one!

Back ground.
Once again the research manuscript produced by John Wallis for his upcoming book has shed light on another ironclad I was unaware of. Although classifying Confederate vessels is somewhat impossable, this one can be said to fall into the Nashville "class" Like the CSS Columbus and the large vessel being built at White Hall, NC, this vessel would have used the engines of a paddle wheel steamer to provide power to two screws through some sort of conversion linkage. Although planned for screw power, it still falls into the Nashville class due to the engine type and overall size and style of construction. The ironclad was to be named the CSS Macon.

The ship was began in Savanna and, although entirely different the the CSS Georgia, spies and Confederate deserters often confused the two in reports to the USN. The 250 foot long "Macon was designed for 12 guns and was to have 4 inches of armor. After long delays in construction, the gunboat gave up the name Macon to a wooden CSN boat, when it became apparent that the ironclad would not be ready anytime soon.

Finally, after the failure of the linkage conversion to arrive, it was proposed that the entire machanical set up from the captured Water witch sidewheeler be transfered to the ironclad, paddlewheels and all. This late conversion would have given the ship a somewhat Frankenstein-ish appearance and reduce its guns to 8, but at least it would have been mobile. In the end the vessel simply disappeared during the fall of Savanna, ind John Wallis speculates that it is buried under that cities shoreline.

The model.
With the White Hall vessel ready for test build and the Texas and Columbus up in the downloads, I set to work on this project, ignoring for now the dozen other projects started. This model, should all go well, will contain both the paddle wheeled version as well as an "as designed" version with screws, and, do to the simplistic design, I am going to (try to)add the hull option as well.

I am guessing that the wooden paddle-boxes would have been armored at least to the extent possible, and the drive shafts would of had some sort of simple armored covering. As with most CSN ships, I am keeping the decks wood, probably raw unseasoned pine. The hull is blackish tare with the underside of the knuckle showing splotchy rust. I went with simple gray for the armor color, although I almost went with the cement coating used on the Georgia.

Anyhow, whatchya think?
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Macon...no the other one!-macon-pic1.jpg   CSS Macon...no the other one!-macon-pic2.jpg   CSS Macon...no the other one!-macon-pic3.jpg   CSS Macon...no the other one!-macon-pic4.jpg