View Single Post

Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Further on Lars' remarks, I was thinking how to improve the looks of the lifeboats with the side cuts needed to give them that nice bulbeous look. Lars commented, that those side cuts spoiled the looks of the boats, because they were too obvious. I had the same feeling, so I tried to reduce the visibility of the ridges that arose from this construction method. I tried this correction and it seems to improve the presentability of the lifeboats.

Pic 1 shows the lifeboat as-is, i.e. untreated. What I did was to sand down the ridges carefully with very fine sanding paper, grid 320. Next I painted the sanded areas with normal Humbrol white enamel paint (the same as Revell enamel, I believe), see pic 2. The chromolux paper is shiny by itself, and the colour matches very good the colour of the enamel.

This action improved I think the looks already notable, see pic 2. As a further detailing I added bilge keels to both sides, which also draws away attention from the ridges, and the result is shown in pic 3.

It is just one method, and I am very interested in your views and other techniques.
Regards,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-32-1-lifeboat-untreated.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-32-2-lifeboat-sanded-painted.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-32-3-lifeboat-treated-bilge-keel.jpg