View Single Post

Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
This re-painting of Peter Zorn’s Ford Tri-motor.

1. Why?
I read Leif Ohlsson’s considerations on printing this model to achieve different scales ( Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale )
I found them a bit complicated for me (even though he explained quite clearly).
So, in a rush of laziness, I decided to re-arrange the pages to be printed in a much bigger paper size. Several pages at a time, by sending them to plotter in A1 or A0 paper size.

My mind soon drifted to other realms:
Why not better re-tracing the lines using Corel? That way the model could be drawn with very clear lines….
Why not thinking on re-painting the model with other colours, closer to my own country’s aviation history?
Why not better making an all-clean-version of it, so that several liveries could be added?

That’s why.

I soon found myself tracing over the original scans, and realised it was possible.

Why keeping it for myself?
Why not sharing this with the community?

This forum has taught me a lot in the few months I’ve been a member here. Not only about model building, but also about sharing.

That’s why.

2. How?
Even though it is one of my favourite programs, I decided to avoid Photoshop for one reason: PS is a bitmap edition software. And a new-clean re-tracing of a wonderful model as this Trimotor is needed a proper rendition that can only be achieved with a vector program. Since I don’t know how to use Adobe illustrator, I went to another program I love. Corel Draw. Vectors also mean that the pattern can be scaled to whatever you wish without loosing definition. From the original 1:33 down to 1:200 or even to 1:16, 1:8 1:4… though I really doubt someone would attempt such a behemoth.

First, I exported Billy’s PDFs to high quality JPGs. Then I imported them to Corel.

Re-colouring the Ford Trimotor by Peter Zorn-02-02scra.jpg

Then, I set the image transparency to 70%, and blocked the objet. This will allow me to work on the tracing without much visual interruption, and I will avoid selecting the image by accidentally clicking on it.

Re-colouring the Ford Trimotor by Peter Zorn-03-03scrb.jpg

The next step is to really start tracing. I use the bezier tool, and define the nodes.
I use a very thin line at the beginning, and try to mark on the exact middle of the original lines.

Re-colouring the Ford Trimotor by Peter Zorn-04-04scrc.jpg

After I’m happy with the shape, I set the line width to “2” points:

Re-colouring the Ford Trimotor by Peter Zorn-05-05scrd.jpg

Correct small deviations and add details:

Re-colouring the Ford Trimotor by Peter Zorn-08-06scre.jpg

I believe that’s a rather good approximation, with the proper line width and respect for the details.

This process also helps to get rid of those small drawing-printing mistakes, like the lines that go beyond their supposed limits.