View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Recolouring the KK Polikarpov Po-2

Acting on the intuition to do something about the KK Po-2 model, getting it to look more like a Russian Po-2 in the slightly lighter colour scheme modeled by the BPM Po-2, I spent a couple of days scanning the KK model, rescalling it and rearranging the parts on to new parts sheets.

At 1/16 scale it is necessary to use a paper format which is kind of like a Letter format in width, but A3 format in length (i.e. 21.6 cm x 42 cm, cut down from regular A3). This is the maximum width possible for an ordinary ink-jet printer. Even so, the wing parts just barely fit in the new width. We'll see what happens when printing (eventually).

For the moment the object of the exercise was to recolour the model. Here's what a big chunk of KK parts look like, scanned, rescaled and laid out on that larger paper format:

The colour of an aircraft is what it is, and I'm sure the KK model is true to scale for that particular aircraft. It's just that I'd rather model the Po-2 in the other Russian colour scheme from the same period. Here's what a part from the BPM model looks like laid out over the bottom of the KK part above, for comparison:

Initially, I thought the BPM parts might lend themselves to squeezing into the shape of the KK parts (which is the more detailed version). It soon proved to be very difficult. So I tried recolouring the KK model instead. Here's the result for the part we are looking at:

Note that I chose to blank out the Polish insignia altogether. This might have resulted in a just-not-quite to scale version of a Russian Po-2, but it'll do for me. After all, we're talking about the biplane which was produced in larger number than any other biplane, ever - somewhere, there will have been something very much like this version!

Technical remarks:

Recolouring was made by sampling two colours from the BPM model, olive drab and tan. Small swatches of these colours were saved on each sheet (see the small squares added in the last image above).

With the magic wand tool, shift-clicking, selections of each colour was saved for each sheet, and then filled with the proper colours. This was made in separate layers on top of the original, thus preserving the original scan.

Each colour was reduced to 65 percent fill, allowing some of the original structure to shine through. Panel lines, which may have become nearly obliteraded by the magic wand, was saved slightly better this way. The same goes for 3D effects, like shading over wing ribs.

The recolouring of the entire model this simple way just took a couple of morning hours. This should be compared to days of work scanning and rearranging parts. If you build in the original scale much of that work can be avoided. On the other hand, rearranging parts is a great way off getting acquainted with a model very thoroughly!

It should also be said that the BPM artwork comes through with flying colours, since it is bought as a download. The KK model is only available as printed, which inevitably will result in colour loss when scanning, plus paper pattern coming out in the scan & enlarging process, as visible in the images above.

It is noteworthy that recolouring amended much of this too.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bmp-part-overlaid.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-recolouring-before.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-recolouring-after.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 01-14-2011 at 02:09 AM.