View Single Post

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Comparing the BPM model once again…

Writing the last post - about the colour profile found, and how I'd really like to model that - my own recolouring of the KK model suddenly seemed very inadequate. The Bestpapermodel version really has a superior texture:

Compare the BPM version above with my own recolouring below:

I would much rather build the BPM version, if the texture was the only factor to take into account. But then there is the almost toy-like design of the BPM model, and some discrepancies. I've done a comparison of them before (see this post):

Now the colour profile in the previous post prompted me to make another:

I no longer think the discrepancies are that important. The one thing which would be difficult to do anything about is the bottom of the nose section. This should be inclined slightly upwards towards the engine, but in the BPM model it is straight and flat. I think I could live with that, and the wing position is fairly easily adjusted by cutting wing struts according to the KK model outline.

What remains then is the detailing. Here's what I'd like to do:

• The interior of the cockpit needs redesigning with proper bulkheads and details like the KK model. Since I have both kits, it should be possible, and even interesting (although challenging).

• The engine needs ameliorating. The KK version engine isn't that hot either. Mentioning the SCHE-2 model made me remember that there is a a fabulously detailed M-11 engine included in that model from Modelik:

The Po-2 deserves that kind of detail to the engine, since it is such a prominent feature of the aircraft.

• The wheels need remaking. They are the kind of toy-like which would be unacceptable in a model making justice to the great skin texture.

• Use much of the technique in the KK model for making wing, stab & fin interiors and framework.

• Designing and making several kind of pods would be interesting and worthwhile!

• A maximum effort would entail getting back to the layered prop I once started upon, but never was quite happy with for the Po-2. In the material recommended by Joek there was a fine three-view drawing, including a set of propeller profiles, which might come in very handy indeed:

• A final interesting factor is the availability of a winter camo scheme from BPM, also very attractive. I guess I will have to make some more business at the Bestpapermodels site...

Wouldn't it be easier to recolour the KK model?, you may well ask. Well, probably; it's just that I'm not enough of an artist with Photoshop to accomplish something like the wear and tear Robert Navratil has created.

So right now it leans towards the skin of the BPM model, augmented by framework and detailing from the KK model, and the engine of the Modelik SCHE-2 model. Quite some kitbashing.

And I'm still just contemplating, mind you...

Leif

PS. Sorry for being so lengthy, I'm shamelessly using the forum for thinking out loud and making notes for the future.

PPS. And the business with Bestpapermodels is already done. Lightning-fast service as always. I now own the winter camo version and will recluse myself for contemplation of it. It is beautifully dirty...
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bpm-sample.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-kk-recolour-sample.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-engine-m-11.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-comparison-bpm.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-prop-eng-dwg.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 01-15-2011 at 09:56 AM.