Thread: Phobos
View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Phobos

Browsing through some files, I found I had never shared this building.

I actually finished this on November 1st, 2010.
But for some reason never shared it here (or anywhere).

The reason I didn't share was because I was waiting to assemble the tectonics and publish the two building threads at the same time. But I never printed the tectonics, and Phobos remained archived.

I will surely build the tectonics.... It's something I'm eager to do. Once I figure the best size. Letter is too small. And even double letter could be difficult.
I still want to be the second person in the world to build the tectonics model (unless someone runs faster than me ).

So.....

This is the foldable map of Phobos, the Martian moon, by Chuck Clark, as found at:
DLR foldable Phobos 2010 world maps with constant-scale natural boundaries
You can download it for free. It's a JPG image that fits well on a letter-size sheet.

As usual with most of my builds:
Laser printed on 160 gr white cardstock.

Despite being only 1 piece, the kit is not as simple as it may look at first sight.
It took me a couple of days to finish it the way I wanted.

(edit: I now remember why it took me so long: I started building this the next day after my surgery. I was all dizzy and in pain. So don't take my word regarding the difficulty or time to build this model. In normal situations it may be easier and faster. Maybe that was also the reason for my mistakes.)

Printed model:
Phobos-fobos_01.jpg

Cut, following the lines.
Phobos-fobos_02.jpg

Lots of joining strips (I think it was 112 strips).
Phobos-fobos_03.jpg

Strips attached:
Phobos-fobos_04.jpg

A look from behind:
Phobos-fobos_05.jpg

Half of the moon:
Phobos-fobos_06.jpg

Phobos-fobos_07.jpg

Phobos-fobos_08.jpg

Every time it gets more difficult to glue and close.
Phobos-fobos_09.jpg

The model is very interesting. It is pure joy to see how the moon is taking shape.

Not to mention the high educative value of the model.

The easy part: just glue the adjacent borders. You can never go wrong with only one piece.
The hard part: there are valleys, mountains, and craters. Sometimes you need to push the cardstock a bit inside or outside to get the proper shape. References may help.

Recommendations:
If you would like to have a nice time building this, provide yourself with lots of patience. It may be trickier than it looks.
Also: printing bigger and in a thin (normal) paper may also help a lot. I had some hard times with the 160 gr cardstock.

The final model:
Printing at letter size, the final model is roughly 12 cms in its longest axis.
Fits in the palm of the hand.

Next: photos of the finished model.

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 01-31-2011 at 10:44 PM.