View Single Post

Old 02-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Bombardier nose

Bombardier nose

The extreme nose section of the B-17 is a clear blown perplex transparency. However, I will use the kit parts 14, 15 and former part 16.

Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09263.jpg

I started with sanding part 16 smooth and gave it a small beveled edge to accommodate the inward angle of part 14 ( the main piece ). I also removed the center portion of this former. I used my favorite method of a paper punch. This tool is extremely useful for all internal former that need material removed ( for access to tools and to center them ).
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09269.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09270.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09271.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09272.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09273.jpg

Once done, I centered part 14 tick mark on the top mark with part 16 and only glued one side. I always have a hard time with parts that have multiply angles and curves in one part, so you need to do it one small section at a time or you get a tangled mess. I glued the rest of the part and joined to itself on one side only. I then glued to the bottom of part 16 and then went to the other side. I noted that there is some extra material on part 14 on the bottom. I had to trim it a bit. Once closed both sides and dry, I then burnished a bit on the inside to try to round it. Not too easy. I also noted that some of the color sort of faded ( probably since this is a Beta build ). When the kit is officially released you may want to print it in full rich color option ( if you have a printer like that ).

Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09275.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09276.jpg
Part 15 is the flat part and with care goes OK as well. Since I had the center of former 16 cut out, I used a chop stick end to push out as flush as I could.

This did take a bit of a time to do. Again, you either work this part, or get the clear vacuformed pieces and do the inside.

Here it is attached to the fueslage
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09277.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09278.jpg

That is all.

Going out tonight

Cheers