PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > 1980's Throwback

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks for all these kind and encouraging comments. It is humbling to receive praise from such a group of talented model builders. I enjoy being in your company.

Although it doesn't look like there will be much modeling time for the next couple of weeks, I hope to complete the Zorn Spirit, making use of what I learned by the engine test build. I also hope to finish the Marek Shoki, as well as a few other incomplete projects (I really must get those little Stinsons finished) before getting on with the will o' the wisp GreMir Shoki.

Meanwhile, I have enjoyed basking in the pleasure of all of these comments from old friends. Thanks very much.

Don
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Don, let me say, I wish you would finish her. I wished I could assemble so clean and neat. As I read thru your thread I was pleased to see many different talents. First, I noticed a hand made scribing tool, many buy their tools for paper modeling, when I 1st started this venture many moons ago, other than a hobby knife and or scissors, you made your tools for working with paper/card. Second, as has been brought out, you are a organized builder in you approach and build. I think this might come from your life in the military. Third, the way you did the prop says you know how to make a prop produce effect to cause enough air over the wings to produce lift, I noticed that little trick, so not only can you build a aircraft, you can make her fly, so with all that said, you my friend are a Master at the Craft as is many on this site. The power of life and death is in the tongue, speak only good of yourself and your work. I had this same bird many many moons ago, and it never looked like this one. I agree we all need to be humble, but it is ok to know you are a master of a craft! Your friend, Rick
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Nice , mr Boose... I like those kits from that period, I have a couple of Alan Rose's models on the shelf, and ofcourse the paper is a little bit too thick and the printing a bit rough, but personaly i don't mind when you actualy can see what it is made of...
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Excellent work so far, Colonel! Looking forward to the final shots. 8v)
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Well, it's definitely not a Corsair! Looking good, Don (or is that Dr. Don since you obviously build in a surgically clean area...???)
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Eternal Member

Nearly missed this very impressive Don I can't resist..............more pics please

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Yea, Don! Finish this. It's a great looking build.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks to all. This pretty much completes the test build from the parts that I copied, although I will finish the nose section in order to learn from the process for the "real" build. I need to get some practice fiddling to get the nose scallops to line up with those of the engine mount.

I began the actual model from the booklet last night by cutting out and assembling the seat. Some evening lectures, prep for a Gettysburg Staff Ride next week, and a couple of writing deadlines may slow things down, but I hope to be able to post photos in a new thread soon. Thanks again for all the positive and encouraging comments from old friends and new.

Don
Old 09-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Really nice clean build. Was fun to follow the step-by-step construction process in the photos.

No matter how the Zorn Spirit of Saint Louis is in comparison to the more modern models, you've made it an alluring build. Used to have the Avon cologne bottle shaped like the Spirit, have always loved the plane, and now will be on the lookout for Zorn's book model of the Spirit to build.

Thanks!

-Ledo

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com