PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > 1980's Throwback

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A

This is my first attempt to build an aircraft engine. I’ve been impressed with the beautiful engines built by Carl (Golden Bear), Mark (Shrike), Glen (birder), Mike Krol (GreMir), and several others of the world-class model builders in the Forum, and most recently by the magnificent Wright R-2600 built by Mike (Bomarc) as part of his North American PBJ-1H Mitchell build and currently featured as POTW (Orlik PBJ-1H Mitchell http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/p...16-2009-a.html.

I am a very mediocre model builder at best and have been on a hiatus for the past couple of months due teaching demands. So I decided to look for something fairly simple as a way to build my hand skills and to learn about how these engines go together. I had been intrigued by the Spirit of Saint Louis thread started by Dan (dansls1) (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/found-internet/1522-canon-spirit-st-louis.html) and continued in a separate thread by Leif Ohlsson after I sidetracked the discussion by raising questions about metallic paper. Leif provided an assessment of the various Spirit models and found many valuable Spirit resources: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/1554-spirit-st-louis-some-considerations.html

Two weeks ago, while visiting the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia with Lil and oldest grandson, 14-year-old Don Boose IV, I bought a couple of copies of the Peter Zorn Spirit of Saint Louis Dover book. Leif’s judgment is: “Unfortunately, that model is far from today's standards as far as scale goes, so it belongs to the memorabilia shelf.” I agree, but still found it to be an attractive-looking model and decided that the simplified Wright J-5A would be a good way to test the waters.

Meanwhile, I have also purchased the GreMir Rafal Ciesielski Spirit and intend to buy the WAK kit, as well. These provide some good reference material and may provide the basis for a future Spirit build.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl001.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 08-17-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM

I began by copying the engine and forward fuselage parts on Office Max Premium matt double-sided photo paper, which is 0.01-inches/0.254mm thick. The natural aluminum color comes out as gray, but this would be okay, since the first build was simply a reconnaissance by fire to see if I could build the engine and to identify problems for the real build later.

The first step was to build the engine mount; then to cut out the cylinders and the combination cylinder heads and exhaust stacks and begin rolling and gluing cylinders. My only deviation from the kit was to cut off the tabs and glue them under the engine mount and engine cylinders. The Shrike RolyStyk was very helpful in forming the cylinders:
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl004.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl005.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl006.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl007a.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Here is the crankcase with the first cylinder and cylinder head installed. The pushrods are two-dimensional paper and for the real build, I plan to use either rolled paper tubes (preferably) or plastic rod. I’m also not happy with the front of the crankcase and, even though it is hidden by the prop spinner, I intend to use a 1mm card disk rather than the tabs and thin disk of the kit.

The second photo shows the work space with the cut-out cylinder head/push rod/exhaust stack pieces resting in their little nest.

The third photo shows how Zorn has simpified the cylinder heads, to include a piece that represents the exhaust stacks. Not much like the real engine, but it does give a reasonably good impression.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl008.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl009.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl007b.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM

The carburetor, with my notes for improvements in the next build.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl010.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl011.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl012.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Work continues on the engine and on the front end of the fuselage. In order to give some twist to the propeller blades, I placed them on a 3/8-in dowel and wrapped a strip of paper tightly around the blade while the glue dried (old stick-and-tissue rubber prop-making trick):
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl013.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl014.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl015.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl016.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Fabrication of the engine nose fairing and spinner. And work on the forward fuselage. The fit is pretty good, but there are a few problems, for which I take responsibility. Especially the smudges on the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl017.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl018.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl019.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl020.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM

The competed engine, less the carburetor, and the engine loosely placed in the nose of the aircraft.

I found that the scallops of the nose section did not match up with those of the engine mount and so I removed the engine mount by main force and will be reinstalling it later this week. After I do that and install the carburetor, this test build will be completed. I may then build an engine from the Zorn book and may also try building the entire airplane.

Will keep you informed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl021.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl022.jpg   Baby Steps: Peter Zorn Wright J-5A-ssl023.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Don,

I think you underestimate your abilities. Your build quality looks high to me when following your progress here.

Greg
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Actually a very nice build and good representation from a fairly non-aggresive design. Good build. My only problem is with your neat and clean workspace. Don't know how anybody can build like that.

Carl
Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Good to see you back building again Don! Your engine looks excellent! Let me know if you need some reference pics before I head to Chi-town - one of the movie replica's is at Henry Ford Museum - although you can only see from wings forward.