View Single Post

Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
What a real hull looks like and a visit to the USS Midway

For Fathers day my wife took me on a surprise trip to San Diego with my kids and grand kids for a visit to the USS Midway. I have been on the ship before but this time the kids wanted to hear what like was like for me when I was serving on the USS Intrepid. Needless to say we had a wonderful day.

I can highly recommend that you visit the ship she’s in good condition and they have a very well thought out self guiding tour. The air museum has a good array of navel Aircraft dating from WWII up to a Tomcat. On our visit next to a restored SBD-3 Dauntless there were 2 WWII navel aviators who talked about what is like to fly the Dauntless. One was the retired Captain of the Lexington who had known my father and had flown with him. Now that was a treat for me.

Now for the paper model stuff the following photo is the stern of the Midway. It shows the extended stern that was added when they rebuilt her to an angled Flight deck. Obviously the low bidder did the work. When you build your next ship model and the hull has a few uneven lines just show then this photo and tell them it’s as per the prototype.

Jim Nunn
Attached Thumbnails
What a real hull looks like and a visit to the USS Midway-web-hull.jpg