View Single Post

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Gluing Pre-Rolled Paper Tubes

When doing long paper tubes of large diameter a third hand is needed. After trying different ways of growing a third hand; no, doctors won't attach one, I tried the following method.

I use a 3ft long 5/8" [9.5mm] Diameter wood dowel with double sided tape rings (clear office type). Use the permanent double sided, the removable type doesn't work.

Notice Fuselage halves have been glued together before rolling and gluing the seam. This allows for a straight fuselage!

Note:
The PSI Tube has to be sealed the whole length. If it isn't the rocket won't launch!

To remove tubes from tape is simple, slight back and forth rolling motion.

I use the work table and work chair as supports making a bridge out of the dowel as shown in the following photos:

1st photo shows the PSI Tube ready for glue. I glue the whole length at once! After initial glue/pressure along the seam, I remove the PSI tube and use the PVC conduit for a final fit test and pressure applied to tube for final glue set.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube1.jpg

2nd photo shows the fuselage shell ready for gluing. Make sure to align at the front using the black line to keep ends even. Can be done from the middle if there was a line to align with.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube2.jpg

3rd photo shows Fuselage glued, at this stage I keep rubbing/applying pressure back and forth along the whole length.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube3.jpg

4th Photo is a closeup of completed fuselage ready to be removed by the back/forth rolling and lifting motion.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube4.jpg