View Single Post

Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Some reflections on the Fauvel glider

Stumbling through the French text on the reference page, I note that the prototyp is dated 1951, the wingspan was 11.95 meters, and empty weight an unbelievably low 120 kg! Yet it was rated for 12G at full weight of 215 kg (allowing 95 kg for pilot & misc.). The width disassembled was 2.38 m, which allowed it to be transported legally on ordinary roads with no restrictions.

Since the length assembled was 3.17m, the aircraft seemed not to need disassembly for transport after all; a slight angling might suffice to bring the width down to under 2.40m. Compare for this photo of an AV36 in its transport cradle (and note the close relation to the subject of Philippe Rennesson's model - CBRU instead of CBRO!):

The prototype was certified in France, Canada, and Germany, also for mild aerobatics. Minimum speed was 58 km/h and max speed 83 km/h. Best glide was 1:26 at 83 km/h, which is comparable to ordinary gliders of the era. Minimum sink speed was 0,87 m/s. Numerous flights of 300 km and 500 km were registered by Fauvel AV36 glider pilots.

The AV36 was followed by the AV361, with slightly larger span and a more modern (laminary) wing profile, which increased best glide to 1:30 at 85 km/h, and a minimum sink speed of 0,74 m/s.

Several AV36 & AV361 were later modified by builders to carry a small two-stroke engine and a prop at the rear of the fuselage, between the fins. That would seem to be the dream of that era - build the aircraft in your garage (or perhaps better, club work shop), go gliding without having to be towed up, and - even better - get out of that impossible sink and return safely home, without having to call for a team and a truck from the middle of some god-forsaken cow pasture (yes, I've been there). Here's a photo:

For those really interested, the page of Fauvel photos at Airliners.net is worth perusing. And finally, I can't resist this see-through image of the Fauvel - note the all-wood construction; little or no welding seems to have been required (apart from a wing centre section, and some push-rods)

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 07-26-2008 at 10:47 AM.