Thread: 1/87 pta mt-lb
View Single Post

Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Continuing..

Well, not alot accomplished during the weekend, alot busier than the scheduled looked for me, but some work has been done. In the first picture, I show an actual roadwheel from the MT-LB. You will notice
that the center of the wheel has a "bowl" shape to it. After looking at my roadwheel, I devised a simple little form made from meat packing tray foam. Using the same punch I used to make the roadwheel rubber ring, I punched a hole in the foam into which the upside down sheet of roadwheels will face. Then, using the round end of a crochet needle approximately the same size, I pressed the wheel into the hole. The soft foam supported the outer edges of the wheel, allowing the bowl shape to be semi replicated. It is a subtle difference, perhaps not as visible in the pictures as it is on the actual part, but it is very different in person.

1/87 pta mt-lb-roadwheel-irl.jpg 1/87 pta mt-lb-roadwheel-complete-1.jpg

In the next steps, I have started working on the tracks by cutting out the outer portion of each track link, which I believe are the drive sprocket guide teeth? (Any qualified treadhead please step in and let me know the real part names if needed!) I haven't gotten very far with this yet, as there are 256 of these sections to remove. I intend on giving the tracks some of the same treatments that the roadwheels got to give them a little more depth as well.

1/87 pta mt-lb-tread-start.jpg

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!