View Single Post

Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
PLEASE NOTE: I do NOT intend a flame war!

Hi all,
First off, I do NOT intend to turn this into one of those big ugly copy-right/distribution/etc. flame wars that can sometimes arise on this sensitive subject. Administrators- Please feel free to take any action you deem appropriate if it starts to turn bad.

Second, as a model designer who loves to be creative (isn't this what it is all about anyway?) and challenge myself, my designs are freely given and I welcome anyone to 'repaint' or make 'add-ons' for the sole purpose to improve the model for the better enjoyment of all. I just ask that nothing be charged for the derivitives and that I am given initial credit as the designer of the model. You are free to credit yourself for your work as well, I feel that you've got that right. Maybe others disagree, but this is my take on the matter concerning my designs.

My purpose in this post is to seek counsel and advice from the community; I value and respect each and every opinion even if I may not personally agree.

Here is the answer I received from my initial contact with the seller ('service provider'):
"Hello there, I am very sorry that my services may cause you offense and this was never my intention. The original reason why I started printing these models was exactly this reason, someone asked if I could print this model for them as their printer was not working properly, I said I would and just charged them for the paper and ink/time etc. They had a friend that saw their model and also asked as they had no printer at all.
It clearly states that these models are free online and I do not design them or anything.
I have even had requests for me to build them up and sell them to people.
If these model files are taken to a printers in the high street (Here in uk), it can cost a minimum of £20 per model on lesser quality paper/resolution. (Prontaprint).
If these models are sold built up, is that also an issue?
I am a printer, and like I said, this was not meant to offend or upset. No disrespect is intended by my service, and I'm sure that I can sort this promptly.
Sincerest and warmest regards
Hope to speak to you soon
Nick

- minialbert"

As far as I am concerned, I have no issue with someone who builds one of my designs then charges for the completed model. I think this is fair to the builder as the 'kit' is not being sold. Again, just my own opinion concerning my designs.

Thank you all in advance!

Best Regards,