View Single Post

Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
FYI

I just got an email from minialbert about his eBay sales.
I sent him messages earlier today, for three of his model sales, in regards to the piracy issues.

This is his email response:
Hi there, many thanks for your comments. The fact that the 'original' copyright infringement is committed by a person who copies that design from its original place, i.e. TV show, Movie etc. You have not even asked who has created these models, just presumed they are from the same people you know. As I said to the gentleman who says he designed one of the Star Trek models, it is not, and has not been my intention to offend or 'rip off' any designers, I was merely originally providing a printing service by request of a friend who had no access to a good quality printer. May I genuinely ask, please, if you have no access to a printer, and you wish to make one of these models, how do you get them printed off? Over in UK, I took one of the models to ProntaPrint, (a UK printing company), and the quote was £20 plus VAT! that is mad! Also, is wasn't going to be on high enough gsm paper nor photo gloss. Are people not allowed to take such models to a printers to print for them?
I have seen on here and similar auction sites people simply downloading and putting on to a CD the original file from the modeler's sites. This I could understand a breach of rule or agreement with the original site, as you are doing nothing other than taking the file, I however do supply a service of printing the product for people, getting more people into this great hobby.
Does somebody in the paper craft community offer this kind of service to people already/ Is that why people are mad?
The models are offered for free, for people to print and make, I am only a middle man printing for people, and offer the extra service of foiled papers, laminates etc that can not be downloaded. I am not aware of anyone being able to print on to acetate in the domestic environment?
I think I have run out of room, but I am happy to continue this conversation. I am going to address the listings I have as soon as possible, and will double check with Ebay in regards to rules. Regards

and FYI, I sent this back:
from Dave Winfield...canada paper modelers [[email protected]]
ww.cutandfold.info
you can also reach me at papermodelers.com

The models you are selling
(yes, you are selling them since they are included in your sales, regardless of HOW you word it!)
are not owned by you, and you did not get permission to sell them or redistribute them in any manner.
-simple...you DID NOT ASK FOR OR GET PERMISSION-

I happen to know the owners and designers of these models and I know where they can be downloaded.
...except fot Uhu's Samaritan Gun, which is no longer available as a result of piracy acts like this.
All the models are available, for download, at no charge, for PERSONAL AND PRIVATE USE ONLY.

You can not assume because they are freely available that it gives you license to use them for your own personal gain.
And by offering them in printed form, you are using them commercially and for your own personal gain.

I don't care how you justify your actions...I don't care about your desire to provide the world with affordable printing options!
Fact is...you downloaded a model and (without any permission) are redistributing that model and earning money from the
sale of the models.

I too offer free downloadable models...you can download them, build them, and show them to your friends.
But don't post them on any other website, don't distribute them in any form without my permission and
DON'T SELL THEM ON EBAY!

stop selling them now.
dave