View Single Post

Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
NC&J:ABC Steam Elephant/Steam House

My choice for this challenge is the ABC model kit of Jules Verne's Steam Elephant and Steam House, sort of a horse and buggy idea.
I've started with the steam elephant as it's the easier of the two, only three pages. I figured if I started on the Steam House first, I might get easily discouraged and give up! As long as I get the elephant done, I'll be committed to finishing both models.
NC&J:ABC Steam Elephant/Steam House-se1.jpg
I've done a number of ABC kits and most of them have been well designed and well-fitting. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be one of them. The leg cylinders only roughly fit, so while this elephant hasn't been challenging so far, it definitely fits the "no joy" aspect.
NC&J:ABC Steam Elephant/Steam House-se2.jpg
I was surprised that the feet almost leveled out evenly as the legs themselves looked quite uneven as I built them.
I've finished the bottom half and started on the top;
NC&J:ABC Steam Elephant/Steam House-se3.jpg
As is typical with ABC models, the only visual instructions are a single diagram. As this one has a movable piece on it and I can't discern quite how it goes together yet, I'm not attaching the top until I understand a bit more of the moving head aspect.
I must say this is an interesting change from airplane kits!
Chris