View Single Post

Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I got the forward fuselage finished. Instead of bulkheads, I just used 1-2 (3 in the tip of the nose) extra layers of cardstock, completely drenched in glue on one side. This method seems to work really good (even if it can be glue and paper intensive). I just cut small, manageable sections of the fuselage in Photoshop, desaturated/increased brightness/painted out everything but important lines to save ink, printed 2 copies, and glued them in. Though this process can lead to bad warping, the result is a rock-solid model that's resistant to bending when it dries. To combat warping, I did have to stuff flat sections under books for a while and I had to keep a close eye on round parts and tweak the shape every once in a while. Still, right now the forward fuselage is by far the strongest part of the shuttle so far. I also fixed the tile pattern on the underside. Once everything was strengthened, I installed the windows, window frames, RCS thrusters, startrackers, and a small simulated middeck to go with the hatch's window. Next up is the engine compartment.