Thread: Earth Tectonics
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ruben,
Sounds like you've got the right approach to putting this together.
You probably already understand why I, after putting the first one together (actually about halfway through the process), realized that a second attempt would be necessary to refine the seams both conceptually and in their as-drawn details. As I worked along I found myself wishing I'd been more farsighted and kept another, uncut map copy to mark up with as-cut seam designs and fine tunings (some shaving here and there of tabs could have been kept track of). Sorry not to have given you this tip earlier. Recommend highly you implement this.

As for your special, small-movement hinge, it seems to me that it will not give pure side-to-side motion but rather impart a not unpleasant or inappropriate rocking, the hinge's extremities rising or falling, much like the playground toy we in the USA call a see-saw or teeter-totter. This might be especially effective seams which follow rivers -- the Amazon and the Irrawaddy (between Bangladesh and Burma) -- and the ocean fracture transecting Cuba. Also the Sahara-Niger seam. Indeed, maybe most all inter-continental seams lacking in volcanoes (the red dots) or black triangles.
Keep an open mind to the possibility that not all of these Special Joints be small. One or two rather larger constructions might serve well for the Amazon and Sahara creases, if the bend in the hinge can be kept from opening too wide.

This special joint design might be effective, too, if you invert it, so that the hinge point sticks UP, as if a little mountain. Perhaps along the Andes and Rockies? The Himalayas?

And now I'm imagining a cousin to this basically v-shaped joint -- a joint in a zee configuration, so that it goes both up AND down. This might be effective where ocean-plate subduction and upthrust mountains occur -- certainly NOT along the Pacific coast of South America, where both sides of the seam must go inward, but possibly the outer (most eastward) arc of the Caribbean, and in Iran.