Thread: Giotto 1/24
View Single Post

Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Giotto 1/24

Another work in progress. I noticed when doing research on CONTOUR that there were a lot of references back to the Giotto mission to Comet Halley, and that the two spacecraft shared a lot of similarities -- and there was also no paper model of Giotto available. (I seem to remember a simple model that was available a while back, but I couldn't find it anymore.) References are hard to come by, and I did a lot of scrounging to try and find everything I could. Even so, a little guesswork is required.
Some of the instruments are still being refined. The HGA also needs a little work. This is a prototype in every sense of the word, and has been ripped apart and retooled extensively already. Forgive the somewhat rough appearance.

The spherical object on the camera is actually a tiny bell, scavenged from one of my kittens' collars. (I'd already removed them, not simply for the purpose of the model -- indoor cats hate bells on their collars. :D) Nominally, I need a .5" diameter wooden bead, which I have not been able to leave the house to get yet.

This section was particularly hard to find references for -- under the HGA. I only found one decent reference picture, and that was just yesterday. The top of the bus is a myriad of optical solar reflectors, a kind of thermal control device that basically acts like a mirror.

There's a hemispherical cover that belongs over the solid rocket motor nozzle. I'm still working it out.

The solid motor removed.