View Single Post

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Paper Trade Fokker/Fairchild F-27 "Friendship" - 03-2

03 - THE BODY, part 2.
The first 2 parts-sets gave no problem being just simple a tube and a cone. Part-sets 3 and 4 are the first challenge in this kit. These parts are to construct the cockpit of hte Friendsip. Why do airplane-designers not take in count the papermodel-problems: these shapes are hard to do! Why is nog every cockpit like the Caravelle or the in-flight Concorde...?

Ah well, here we go:
The cutting is done as, is the edgepaint.

The sharp viewer notices I left some extra paper at the glue-tabs. This ia bad habit of mine... Not necessairy but makes the parts easier to handle and gives some extra sturdiness to the construction.
I used this order to complete things:
1-tabs on both sides of the little parts 3a and 3b. See the dot-markings: on top!
2-roll and form part 3 into aan ring/cone and close it with the tab.
3-glue parts 3a first, then part 3b. From each one side at a time.

4-close the cockpit with the middle-tab. Dot-marking again!
5-IMPORTANT: do not close and fixate the seams in the roof yet. And don't place the bulkhead.

6-fix the gluetabs in place.
7-part-set 4 is on. Nothing difficult here... just another cone.
8-Part 3 and 4 now can be joined together. Do not fix the underside of the windows.Set some time aside to let dry. Not too long to keep some elasticity as long as the glue is not totally hardened.
9-Put bulkhead 4 in place now.
10-Now you can glue the windows-under to the nose-top. Being a butt-joint you have take your time for it.
11-Finally close the seams in the roof. I used the tissue-method: smear some glue on the spot, in the seam and push the part in plance and shape. Cover the glu with little parts of a tissue.
12-Bulkhead 3 will be the last thing to do.
This what I made of it:
Inside:

Outside:

to be continued...