View Single Post

Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
I built one of these probably 20 years ago (the design has been around a long time.) I got mine to run more or less continuously as the result of much, much fiddling although any kind of accuracy was just a joke.

"It is like a dog riding a bicycle; not so much that it is done well but that it is done at all."

The main problem I had was that the weights fell way too fast and the thing had to either be hung much higher than my ceiling or had to be wound up every couple of hours when they hit the floor.

I recall placing scotch tape on the surfaces of the pallets where they contact the escape wheel (that wheel that looks like a saw blade) to reduce friction. That helped a lot. Also messing with the pendulum helped a bit, and fooling around with the mass of the driving weights seemed to help. Beware making the weights too heavy because then the clock, being made of paper after all will just wear out real fast.

That's not what happened to mine though. Did I mention that you need to keep the cat away from it?