View Single Post

Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Thanks Wyvern. Complex is right. The next section of the fuselage is one of the more complex - the engine air intakes and cockpit tub. Without instruction I'm just kind of piecing things together, following a little on the previous build thread and avoiding errors it seems to show.

First was to assemble the intake cowlings themselves. The parts are reversed in their labeling but are consistent (7L, 8L, and 9L are all right side pieces, etc.) The formers do a good job at guiding shape and placement.

Using a trick shown on Kartonmodel, I sliced up one of the two formers with the intake graphic on the back to shape and locate the intakes against the next section back. Then I attached them along with the front gear bay to the assembly:

At this point I've left the nose off in case I make a mistake here so I dont need to rebuild it all.

The next step will be to apply the outer skin for the intakes. Here are the first design errors I've come across so far. The skins contain a cutout for the machine gun ports, but the forward section is outlined in black as should the rear, and it isn't. This was noted on the earlier build but not fixed. I simply outlined it myself with watercolor pencil.

To make sure they get aligned correctly, I attached the next section back, so the graphics can line up properly:

The second issue with the design is also with the MG ports - the ports are intended to be cut out, but the design contains nothing to insert behind them. In addition, one of the openings crosses a former which would be quite visible and prevents an inset tube from being placed.

To address this, I created 4 inset MG tubes and cut away enough of the former to fit them. I think the effect works nicely.

I still haven't applied the skins and second set of tubes but those will be next, and then I can either tackle some of the cockpit or continue on with the fuselage. Decisions, decisions...
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds