View Single Post

Old 08-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Syringes and Hypo Applicators

I've been considering how to build "cleaner" models and know that folks on the forum use a syringe. I searched and found that Ron40 uses a Microjet 412, some folks use over-the-counter syringes, some purchased at hobby stores, etc. Seems like a lot of choices and a bit daunting. Obviously I could go out and just purchase one and have at it.

I ordered some GS-Mark Hypo Cement because I had a gift card and was curious about it, so this takes care of my needle applied fluids itch. However, I was curious about the procedure and specs of syringes, and if those of you who use them could share.

Specifically, I would like to know the gauge and length of the needle you use, capacity of the reservoir, type of syringe (luer lock, etc.). Other more subjective characteristics, cleanup time and ease of application. Furthemore, the glue you use with the syringe and whether or not you dilute it (and with what you dilute it) at all.

My current method is apply a bead of PVA onto some paper and use a toothpick as a spreader. Now don't get me wrong, it works well enough, but sometimes I get the fuzzies or my fingers get in the way and dirty things up, not to mention ink run, etc. It just... annoys me. So I'd rather work more precisely to avoid the mess even if it takes longer.

In essence, I want to achieve this level of neatness.

Beyond PVA, I'm also assuming that a super glue gel formulation would be superior as I've seen models built with it that have very clean lines and seams.