View Single Post

Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
When I was on the USS Paul Revere (LPA-248) we were were unloading the forward 3" magazine. The guys down in the magazine would load 16 rounds on the dumbwaiter and it would go up to a hatch on the main deck level where the work party would each grab one round and walk it out to the deck for off loading to the pier.

Well, when the magazine was about half empty a full load came up on the dumbwaiter, but when it got to the top the chain broke and the whole pallet went shooting down. I was about third in line to take a round and when the chain broke I started running, but realized that if those things went off there was no where to hide. None of the rounds went off, thankfully. Those guys that were in the magazine came up the ladder and were extremely pale and shakey. We all didn't feel very good.

The work party then had to station ourselves on the access ladder going down to the magazine and man handle all of the remaining rounds out of the magazine. The guy below you would pass a round up to you and you would pass it up to the guy above you. I was about 3/4 of the way up. Talk about a workout. I couldn't wait to get back to the engineroom.