View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazziga View Post
Dave, it's so good to see that you are progressing with the PT-109. Is this the thread that mentioned all gray scheme: PT boat colour?? - RC Groups ? What do you think was the 37 gun repainted gray or did they leave it green (I assume it was green since that was an army weapon)?
I think I have seen that thread, but no, thats not the only one!
I have found a few other discussion sites where the issue has been discussed.
And...
some early plastic Kits were presented as Gray paint schemes.
It seems to be more recent models that have all been painted green.

And...I found two old Books, about JFK and PT109, that have gray PT Boat artwork on the covers.
And...looking at some old photos (which are all B/W) there seems to be a variation between the deck and Hull indicating light/dark gray.

The wreckage of PT-109 was found...but the only pic I could find, was a rusty Torpedo Tube at the bottom of the Sea, so that didn't tell me much.

The 37mm AntiTank Gun was loaded onto the PT Boat, one day before it was sunk.
The Gun was never even used.
It was a standard M3 towed gun, with the Wheels removed.

It wouldn't have been a Navy order to install this thing?
I'm sure it was just some Crewmans crazy idea to take advantage of a salvaged weapon.
Theres no reason to assume that the Gun was repainted, but I have know way of knowing that.
Its possible that after the Gun was welded and bracketed in place, the Crew could have slapped a coat of Gray paint on it...if they had some paint.

I will produce mine in Army Green.

Wag

There are no "Hull" numbers...the numbers are on the Chart House, left side Helm Wall, right side Turret and rear A/A Gun mount.
All those Models you see with the PT numbers on the Bow are a fantasy.
I think only much later PT Boats, near the very end of the War or after, had some Bow numbers.

The green PT-103 kit is out there, so I am not altering that one anymore.

I don't want to get into producing all these variants, the PT-73 is bad enough! lol
But it only requires one extra page of parts as I showed.

Wag...why would you want a no number version?
Is there a reason you can tell me?

I have an idea...