View Single Post

Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
WAK Panzer 1F Build (resurrected)

The build report of the WAK Pz 1F on another forum lost all the images in a server move. Rather than just walk away from it I'll rebuild the thread here - hopefully it will last longer than a few months. As, in the track build report, I've dropped the comment posts except where the replay clarifies the build.

I guess I've got myself into documenting the build of this model by doing the tracks in another thread. Here's the basic kit information.

The kit was designed by Mariusz Kurzynski who seems to be a new AFV model designer - at least the WSMK database doesn't record any other models except for the recent WAK models. It seems to have been a computer designed model as most recent Polish models have been. The printing and artwork are very good.

There are 10 parts pages printed on what seems to be 160 gsm card. Four pages of diagrams, the instruction text is in Polish and is less than a page and a single page of 80 gsm with the patterns for frames, etc.

The Panzer 1F was an armoured oddity - it was a continuation of the Panzer 1 development to build either reconnaisance (Ausf D) or light infantry support tanks (Ausf F). The armour of the Ausf F was increased up to a maximum thichness of 80mm but the primary armament was still a pair of MG34 machine guns. Only about 30 of the Ausf F variant were built in 1942-3.

The subject of the WAK model is a tank issued to SS Division "Prinz Eugen" in 1942 and used against partisans in Yugoslavia. This campaign was almost a throwback to medieval warfare in its ferocity - the recent Balkan wars of the 1990s almost looked like quite gentlemanly affairs compared to the WW2 fighting.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
WAK Panzer 1F Build (resurrected)-pz1f_cover.jpg