View Single Post

Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
WW1 AutoCar Armoured Car (Truck)

I have seen some discussion regarding Armoured Cars and the like (from WW1),
and although I don't have a keen interest in WW1 or its Military vehicles,
I am constantly fascinated by many of the odd and unique early designs.

It scares and amazes me to see what Soldiers used in early "motorized" conflict.

I like the idea of designing a new model in a completely different genre.
The PT Boat was a pleasant change from Aircraft and miniature Cars.

And so, it was suggested to me to look at the Autocar (Truck) based Armoured Car.
And since this is also a Canadian Historic Wartime vehicle, I thought it might make an interesting project.
*I'm not Canadian, but I do live here and respect the fact that Canadian Scale Models are less common and could use a little more support.
There is one remaining Autocar Armoured Car in the Wartime Museum inn Ottawa, Canada.

This is going to be a long term project, and the goal is another commercial Model
...and hopefully will lead to a few variants, such as a Staff Car and Ambulance.
There appears to be quite a few wartime vehicles built on top of the Autocar Truck chassis.

I have begun to gather some reference material, still waiting for a certain someone to collect me more (?)...
and I have begun laying out some basic measurements and drawings.

Which brings me to my first important decision
and my first question(s) to you, the potential builder.

Obviously I need to gauge the interest in this model, but I also need to settle on a scale.

I basically have two options...a small scale model, with limited parts and detail.
Or a large scale model, with plenty parts and detail for the more seasoned modeller.

The AutoCar was a pretty small vehicle, only a 97" wheelbase
(thats standard Jeep wheelbase!) for a 2 ton Truck!

A medium scale model around 1:24 scale is out of the question for me.
The final model is just too small for me to design with any serious detail,
with too many very small parts for the average builder...
but still too big to oversimplify it and still keep experienced modellers satisified.

So I am forced to consider the two options I mentioned earlier.
And 1:14 scale is what I am consdering since it gives me the maximum size for parts and detail
but keeps parts limited to Letter size pages...and the overall model to a respectable shelf size**.

To those who would be interested in this model, what would be your preference and/or opinions in this regard.
Heres some scale info to help you judge model sizes...

**I tried to determine what the largest or longest part might be, and I assumed it would be a side Frame Rail.
Since I intend on working with standard Letter Size Pages, I am restricted to about 10" for the longest part dimension.
And that measurement restricts me to 1:14 scale or smaller.

Based on common Scale Model sizes there seems to be a few acceptable options List of Scale Model sizes