View Single Post

Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Don,

Cannot speak for anyone else, although I think it's safe to say that a majority is doing paper models because it is a convenient, relatively cheap, unpretentious way of creating models getting an excellent result for you effort - and not because it is an esoteric art of some kind.

I applaud your ambition to make a mixed-material model in 1/16, getting the help of paper if and when needed. Have you seen Mike Dixon's magnificent Corsair in the Picture of the Week? That would be a good example. For my own part, I do nothing but paper models in 1/16. At present I have a build log of a recent build of the DHC-1 Chipmunk going.

The Chipmunk is a "straight" build - using almost exclusively nothing but what's indicated in the original paper model kit, just enlarging it. As such it would interesting as it shows how far you can get with almost nothing but the original design. There are other examples of intricate, almost plastic-model, builds starting off from paper model kits. Gen-D's SB2C-4 Helldiver would be a case in point. It is almost unbelievable that this is what you can achieve in as small a scale as 1/33.

Coming from balsa, tissue and silk models - in character like yours, albeit no way near your size and workmanship - I think I can empathize with your leanings. I say it would be marvellous to see how you would tackle a composite model in large scale - and why not 1/16? Could I entice you to at least have a look at good-quality paper model of the kind you are into before you go it all on your own? The Sopwith Camel would be an example I am familiar with. That could be a starting point, and a way of getting to know how paper models generally are designed and constructed. (I would have suggested the Sopwith Strutter of course, but for the fact there is no really high-quality model in larger scales than 1/48 of that type. 1/48 is a bit iffy enlarging three times, and there is not as much detail as in larger scale originals.)

And, oh yes, CA-soaking of paper parts is a standard for many paper modelers as well!

Do keep in touch, and if a trial copy of the Camel would be an extra enticement, it just so happens I ordered one too many at a point in time... (It really is paper, not electronic download, so I would need a snail mail address by PM.)

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 10-03-2011 at 04:10 AM.