View Single Post

Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96

This will be my pet project the next weeks. I started today. Main ingredients: Surfduke's 1/48 Mercury, which I redid to look like Liberty Bell 7, the UH-34 Sea Horse by E. Zarkov (which I repainted to represent Hunt Club 1) and of course a picture frame which I am going to use as a base. I reduced both models to 1/96 which I think is small enough. It just has to fit on the frame.
Liberty Bell had all its marking different than the MA-capsules. The flags were missing, The words "United States" were on different places and then there was that beautiful crack across the shingles that needed to be done. I used Photoshop and online references to try and get it right.

I did the first steps of the frame today. It is going to be the surface of the ocean so I messed around with some cardboard to make a mould for the gypsum I was going to use. I made a thick paste-like substance so it smeared well onto the base plate. With wet fingers I smoothed the surface. before I started I placed a brass tube where I wanted the helo and the capsule to be.

When it's dry, I'll paint the surface and will add some acrylic transparent stuff to imitate water. This makes me very very curious, I have high expectations of the stuff.
Okay, I realise all of this isn't paper but bear with me, that will follow soon. First up will be the hapless spacecraft. I want to cram in as much detail as I can in that scale and size.
The helicopter will be a challenge, especially in this scale. So, big new adventures ahead! Are you ready to hook on?
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-cimg3028.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-cimg3031.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-cimg3035.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-cimg3033.jpg