View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
When Liberty Bell was salvaged, it was sort of semi-live on television, I remember. The whole evening and night there was coverage on Discovery Channel, intermitted with documentaries of the flight and the project and, luckily, a retrospective of Gus himself. When the capsule was out of the water, it was put into a tank with sea water to prevent corrosion by exposing it to dry air.
There were supposed to be more explosives in the capsule (why?) and they were very careful handling it. Even Gunther Wendt there to witness its retrieval from the sea bed. He was a guest of honour. (did you see the pun I made there? ha ha ha )

I have made a big search for pictures of the original situation and added to that a busload of similar photos of other helicopters and their rotor wash on water surfaces. So I know how it should look, I am going to base it on this picture:

This Sikorsky had a piston engine and its rotors weren't as big as today's helicopters so the wash is a lot less than for example a Black(or Sea)hawk or a CH-53. The lower it hovers, the more wash there is. Mine will be at this height I think because I want to show the landing bag. I also have to find a way to portray good old Gus, treading water in his leaky space suit...